Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where is Amy's Christmas Letter?

Dear Friends,

This year is different. We are different. In an effort to spend less and give more, I decided to forego sending out a Christmas letter this year. This was actually a pretty big sacrifice for me. I love writing the letter, addressing the envelopes, thinking of each of you individually. But as I contemplated the price of the cards and the stamps, I realized I wanted to give that money away instead. Does that sound crazy? It feels a little crazy, and I know there will be those who won't understand. That's okay with me.

In lieu of the card and the letter, I invite you to join me on this blog to read how our family is celebrating and worshiping during Advent. We have certainly not "arrived" and are in no way a perfect example, but we press on toward the goal of being like Jesus Christ, the child born in the manger, Immanuel, God with us.

And now, because some of you only read my other blog for the pictures of my boys, here they are decorating our Christmas tree last week. I will write more about that experience soon!



5 comments:

  1. Amy, I love the pictures. I love the concept. I think you are being both brave and faithful as you forge ahead with new ways of doing Christmas. Keep us in the loop!

    Love you all!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are simply cool... and radical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously considering taking this step next year. Since most recipients of my card/letter read my blog, they can read our "christmas letter post". I didn't take the step this year, because being the frugal gal I am, I was stocked with paper from last years' clearance sales.

    I do struggle with this, though, because I know the money is better spent elsewhere, but I'm not in such a tight spot that I have to choose between giving to charity or sending out letters. I do enjoy doing them and getting them. And as I write them I see ways that the letters can be a ministry in and of itself. I like reaching out and doing special things for my friends just as much as I do children in need (ie Compassion kids).

    That's what is going on in my head....

    By the way...I MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I've got a similar series going on at our blog called "Presents and Presence". :) I think you're great & skipping the Christmas letter & giving THAT money to people that have nothing is a great idea. Yes, it's a little crazy. Yes, there are people that won't "get" it. But, if this is 1 way you feel called to "flesh out" Jesus I say GO FOR IT!!! :) Hugs to you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and miss you! I don't blog, but I think the idea is awesome. It is great to see the boys...I can't believe how the time flies.

    Jac Robinson

    ReplyDelete