Friday, December 24, 2010

Let Every Heart Prepare

I don't think it was coincidence that there was no room in Bethlehem's inns for Mary, Joseph and the soon-to-be-born Jesus. I know there were many reasons why God placed His only Son on earth in such humble circumstances. But the one that struck me today had to do with making room. That first Christmas, nobody made room for the Christ. Too busy with the census crowds. Too many other paying customers. It happened exactly as God planned, but I see an illustration for me today. The majority of people in Bethlehem that night couldn't be bothered to notice the coming of the Messiah. Not one could manage to provide for the basic needs of two fellow human beings. Really? There had to have been a couch available somewhere! But I guess that would have been pretty inconvenient. I hear the Holy Spirit prompting me, asking me, "Amy, have you made room? Spiritually? Can you let go of your expectations for tomorrow morning and worship Christ the Lord with a clean heart? How about making some room physically? Is there room in your car for a few more people to come to church with you tonight? Is there room at your table for families who don't know Me? Will the "least of these" be welcomed or shunned by you?" I am so convinced that when I love the folks that our society ignores, when I serve my neighbors selflessly, when I am inconvenienced by making room for others, I see Jesus Christ more clearly and worship Him more fully.
And now for what has to be the most realistic nativity scene I've ever witnessed. Our five-year-old helped my mom set up her nativity a few weeks ago. Take a peek.




I love how everyone has their backs to us, looking instead at the wonder, the miracle of God in the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment