Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

It's been a beautiful morning here. Luke was up first around 6am, but didn't wake us because he was so focused on his new legos from last night. Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa for the extra sleep on Christmas morning! I woke up around a quarter to seven and made coffee. :-) Erik and Paul joined us within the hour. While Erik and I enjoyed coffee time on the couch, the boys played with their new toys from last night. You might ask yourself how we achieve this level of sanity on Christmas morning...pretty simple. I leave the presents and stockings in my closet until after our first and most important tradition...birthday cake and birthday presents for Jesus. I also seed the grandparent's giving on Christmas Eve with a few things I KNOW will keep them occupied! I'm no fool!!
So after coffee time, a morning staple in our household, we had our birthday cake time. Yes, we sing. Yes, it's a little cheesy. Yes, we blow out candles. Then comes my favorite part. We pass around the Compassion catalog and each of us gets to pick a gift to give to Jesus. (Thanks, Jill, for the AWESOME idea!) In Matthew 25:31-46 Jesus relates what it will be like when He comes again. He says in verse 40, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Makes sense. It's His birthday and He has made it clear how we can give Him gifts.
The boys picked great gifts for Jesus this morning. Paul was stoked about giving a goat. Luke gave a soccer ball. I gave educational supplies. Erik gave a mechanic workshop to another dad.
Jesus, thank You so much that we have such an abundance in our lives. Thank you that we can give You these gifts because of Your grace and Your mercy in our lives. We love You. Happy Birthday!!

1 comment: