Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dialogue With My Son

I recently asked our five-year-old, "What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?" Don't ask me what response I was expecting. I don't really know. Moms can have such crazy expectations of their kids, and I'm no exception. He was on the verge of saying, "I don't know," his favorite answer right now, but stopped himself.
"Oh! The presents!"
Such a natural response. I said, "The presents are pretty great, aren't they? Do you remember why we give each other presents on Christmas?" Notice the mom trying to salvage the teachable moment.
"Nope."
"We give each other presents on Jesus' birthday to remind each other that Jesus is the best gift that has ever been given."
He smiled and asked to be excused from the snack table. I excused him and thought, "Oh well. He doesn't get it yet." I went back to doing dishes and he headed into our living room to sit in his favorite chair. Moments later I heard his sweet, small voice singing.

Joy to the world, the Lord has come.
Let earth receive her King.
Let every heart prepare Him room.
And heaven and nature sing.

So often thoughts my boy cannot articulate in words instead appear in his play or his singing. Perhaps his heart, like mine, is striving to prepare Him room amidst a culture that seems uninterested and distracted. I'm praying that when Christmas morning arrives this year, we will sing joyously and experience the ultimate blessing of honoring Jesus Christ as the King of kings and the Lord of lords.




No comments:

Post a Comment