Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Starting Early

My mind is on Advent.  I know it's only the first week of November, but it seems the Lord is bringing me here early on purpose.  Let me explain.

We are part of a church plant that launched in September.  This is our first December with weekly gatherings.  Early in September my husband and I were on a double date with our pastor and his wife.  We love these people.  Spending time with them is always joy filled and often fruitful.  After dinner, we decided to hit the mall because we all had free childcare.  Why go home?  Walking through Macy's, the holiday section was already set up in all its glitz.  One look at all that craziness and my thoughts turned immediately to Advent Conspiracy.

"Hey Trav, we should totally do Advent Conspiracy at Roots this year.  It's really cool and it's totally changed the way we experience Jesus Christ during the Advent season."  Innocent enough.

"Sure, Amy, if you'll quarterback it."

"Let me pray about that, Trav."

I did not even flinch at this interchange.  I knew that it was something I should definitely ask God about before committing.   And I also knew that if God said yes, I would take this on with joy and enthusiasm. Yes, we have very full lives.  At the same time, Advent Conspiracy has been so instrumental in our Christmas celebration the past four years.  I knew it might be something God had placed in my heart for a reason.

Praying about it later, asking God if this is something He has for me to do this year, I waited expectantly for His answer.  I didn't look at my calendar to see if I had time.  That answer would always be no.  I asked God if He wanted Roots to do Advent Conspiracy.  I asked if He wanted me to lead it.  The answer was not audible.  It was a prompting to go online and see what all Advent Conspiracy offers as resources.

Watching the video again gave me my answer.  Yes.  This is important.  This is the Gospel lived out during a season when it should be first but is often forgotten.  Our Advent celebration is empty without the four tenets of Advent Conspiracy.  Worship fully. Spend less. Give more. Love all.

I'm still praying.  I'm asking God to bless Roots Community with a meaningful advent season, focused on the person and work of Jesus Christ.  I'm asking for wisdom to lead our community in possibly revising some Christmas traditions to bring more honor to the Newborn King Jesus and more hope to a world that so desperately needs the Prince of Peace.

And I'm totally already listening to Christmas music, but it's through my earbuds.  So the rest of the house doesn't have to do Advent for two months if they don't so desire.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Two months of Advent how cool would that be? God's blessings on you while you continue to work for His good.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete